The Accountant is responsible for recording and safeguarding cash, preparation of the basic financial statements, maintaining the restricted net assets detail, recording of fixed assets and related depreciation and typical general ledger entries, postings and analysis.
1. General Ledger:
• Timely posting of all deposits (lockbox, in house, donated vehicles, donated stock, credit cards, online, EFTs, Paypal, Trees of Hope, SOH employees and non-contribution batches).
• Timely and accurately recording of all stock donations.
• Timely posting of all credit card fees and other similar charges.
• Work with Controller to ensure that the activity within the account classes in the Statement of Financial Position and Statement of Activities are accurate and timely.
• Work with Controller to coordinate and participate in year-end inventory observations with our financial auditors.
2. Prepare the Mission’s Basic Financials:
• Basic Financials preparation includes: Import and reconciliation process between financial systems, preparation of the Statement of Financial Position, Statement of Activities, Statement of Functional Expenses, Statement of Cash Flow, and other supporting schedules. The completion date for all of these is pursuant to timeline as set by CFO.
3. Special Reporting:
• Special reports as requested by Controller or CFO.
• Proper records retention in thisarea.
4. Month End Close:
• Work with Controller to prepare monthly tracking and releasing of temporarily restricted funds.
• Selected general ledger work on a monthly basis including: calculate and record non endowment fund investment activity and record and analyze endowment fund investment activity; calculate and record monthly amortization of prepaid expenses, record entries related to fixed assets and depreciation, and other entries as assigned.
Other Job Responsibilities:
1. Participate in Ministry and prayer activities, as appropriate.
2. Other duties as assigned.
Education, Skills & Experience: Requires a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in accounting with 2 years of related work experience. Valid Texas Driver’s License with acceptable driving record and current liability insurance. Ability to understand and apply detailed financial policies.
Good judgment in dealing with confidential financial matters. Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize work, multitask respond to immediate issues that need attention and meet deadlines. Must be detail-oriented. Problem-solving ability. Be able to work respectfully, professionally and in a Christ-like manner with everyone, able to maintain required client/staff boundaries and possess a willingness to serve the Lord in a ministry that deals with homeless men, women and children.
Equipment Used: General Office Supplies (Calculator, Telephone, Stapler, etc.), Computer Equipment (Monitor, Keyboard, etc.), Copier/Fax/Printer. Software: Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Internet tools, Raisers Edge and Financial.
About Star of Hope Mission
Star of Hope is a Christ-centered community dedicated to meeting the needs of homeless men, women, and their children. Positive life changes are encouraged through structured programs which focus on spiritual growth, education, employment, life management and recovery from substance abuse.www.sohmission.org